What is the Universal Stiffener?
Omni PCB is pleased to be working with Compufab and their unique product, The Universal Stiffener™. This is an aluminum bar which
can function as a mechanical PCB stiffener, a heat transfer device or electrical
bus bar. The Universal Stiffener™ fastens to a PCB with machine
screws anywhere along the length of the bar. The Universal Stiffener™
is a lower cost alternative to machined fiberglass or machined metal PCB stiffeners.
CONTACT US for a free sample.
Compufab has also developed a New Universal Stiffener which does all the things a
PCB stiffener should do, with the added advantage of time saving rivet assembly.
The stiffeners are designed specifically to use
Avdel Textron Inc. Briv® 1800 series rivets.
Why use a PCB Stiffener?
- Reduce warp and bow when handling a large PCB
- Eliminate dangerous deflection due to vibration and bending
The typical PCB Stiffener:
- Assure good guidance of a PCB into its backplane connector.
Most PCB stiffeners are constructed with a rectangular bar with drilled and tapped holes. Drilling and tapping holes in
a bar is expensive. Assembling with screws is time consuming.
Other advantages which may improve your design.
Compufab has reduced this assembly time with the design of an ingenious bar shape
that will accept a rivet anywhere along its length. Experience has shown that
most existing PCB designs using stiffeners can adopt this new stiffener with no
The Universal Printed Circuit Board Stiffener system has been operated and tested
under severe vibration conditions with no mounting screws loosening. This
quality is due to the natural locking action developed as a mounting screw partially
cold forms its way into the unique shape of the threads in the stiffener.
CONTACT US to learn more or request a FREE sample!
- Same bar will mount on PCB's with different hole locations.
- Eliminate close tolerances between mounting holes on PCB's.
- In most cases, the stiffener will occupy less precious real estate on the PCB
- Can be mounted over insulated spacers to clear copper traces or wire adds.
- Can be anodized different colors for coding.
- Ideal PCB label area, when used on rear edge of PCB.
- Strong and light-weight.
- Clean, professional appearance.
- Rivet mounting reduces assembly time.
- Can also be used as a heat sink or power/ground bus. (Use metal spacers and washers)